Friday, August 7, 2009

Fenced in? There is always a gateway!






My response to a journal article written by Jane K. Fernandes and Shirley Shulz Myers, known as "Inclusive Deaf Studies: Barriers and Pathways.

Greetings brothers and sisters.

I find myself in this beautiful Great Basin Buckaroo Country (pictured here is the actual view of our family's ranch in northern Nevada) this afternoon, contemplating the idea of creating a blog in response to this important article, "Inclusive Deaf Studies: Barriers and Pathways.

Speaking of Barriers and Pathways, it's a bit of an irony for me as I am sitting next to a 24" x 36" window at the family's working ranch, with a world class view of vastness of open space with no signs of civilization. Use your imagination or better yet, rent a DVD known as the "Open Range" and you'll get an idea. Allow me to explain why.

As I gazed through this cozy window I see no shortage of rolling hills in every endless directions. Such endless view is what makes the valley even more precious and prettier. I see the valley as the coveted and desired "lush green" home place for these endless rolling hills, with each hill containing great wealth of characters, different colors, multiple shapes, and steep or shallow traits. I see hundreds if not thousands of black dots scattered through out the area, covering both hills and the valley. These are the black angus cattle with such liberty to roam wherever they please, always in pursuit of better grasses. This is a picture-perfect scenario I see from my window. Such beauty is an ideal world because everything has its' rightful place in this world.

As I step outside and face the reality I know that there are numerous barriers (roadways and fences) and pathways (gates and trail) scattered all over the place. See a fence line (barrier) and you'll always find a trail leading to a gate (pathway). This is the law of any ranching community.

I see the same kind of world out there, a world filled with barriers and pathways. I see a wealth of knowledgeable characters. I see great numbers of cultures and communication modes. I see different races as well. And I see them in multiple forms, steep and/or shallow traits. These people are born with the birth-right freedom to choose how to live their lives, but always in pursuit of pathways leading towards better and happier life. This is a picture-perfect scenario I see from my head. Such beauty is an ideal world because everybody has their rightful place in this world. I'm talking about human beings in general. It's a beautiful world.

However as I step inside and face the hard but un-necessary reality, I see exactly what has been verified and written by Jane K. Fernandes and Shirley Shultz Myers, a deaf world dominated by hierarchy few who took advantage of their privileged life to tout themselves as the Deaf superiors at the expenses of "deaf" others, placing the barriers upon these people that were not born into exactly the same world (ASL-life experience). Upon realizing the advantage they hold they like to tout their own definitions on what might be ideal and what might not be. It is how they begin to define the things that are acceptable and unacceptable, as in norms and the abnormals. They want us to believe that there is no pathways except through Deafhood Journey.

Thus the birth of U.S. version of Deafhood. I call it Deafhood II. The United States version of deafhood was created for this exact purpose, to draw a huge crowd and put them in an eternal chase that will never end. It's like the King or Queen who positioned the people in such condition that will forever keep them in the lower position where they would always find the need to beg and pray for betterment by worshipping and honoring the superiors. Therefore the birth of ranks and files. Deafhood II literally have a queen who savors such title. Not kidding you here. This queen has always imposed conditions upon me and others by requiring that we would have to agree with her long list of point of views. If we didn't agree with her then we'd face rejection by her and her controlled hoodized community. Naturally I choose rejection every time to show defiance against this self-appointed queen because she acquired such title at the expenses of other deaf people with lesser privileges.

The Deafhood II's adoption of Audism theory did not happen by accident. It was adopted because it worked to their advantage since it encouraged the deaf people to believe that they were being oppressed upon by "hearing people" and by so called colonized "deafless people" who were not deaf enough by Deafhood II's standard. It was a perfect recipe for anger, which will fuel these angry people towards the Deafhood II pathway, funneling them into one pathway towards the hierarchy's trap, under the control of a so-called queen.

These people failed to understand one thing that's been laid out by the JKF and Myers article. What might be ideal to Deafhood II is not necessarily ideal for other deaf people therefore the sense for people's security has been breeched repeatily when the Deafhoodized people tried to impose their hoodized world upon other people's world.

The questions coming from these people were frequently asked, "have you attend a deafhood workshop"? Have you read the deafhood book by Paddy Ladd? This particular question was asked often by Deafhoodized people because it gave them the desired power to declare that we're unqualified to discuss the subject if we've not read the book or been to one of their workshops. Such bogus notion I declare! I, of all people am from a very large deaf family and carrying the 7th generation label with my two boys carrying the 8th generation label. I grew up with nine deaf aunts & uncles as well as deaf parents and grandparents. Who in the world appointed these Deafhoodized people into hierarchies that they are, so that they are able to say that I'm not deaf enough? Talk about typical behavior coming from a hierarchy figure.

The "not deaf enough" argument was born as a form of barrier to keep us down. We were constantly labeled as "not deaf enough" because we lacked an identity by their standard. Thus the birth of DEAFLESS term, which I invented for fun but now view it as a PATHWAY to liberty, freedom and independence, steering us deafless individuals away from this so-called hierarchy's spell. Hell broke loose at DeafVideo.tv and DeafRead.com regarding the DEAFLESS term I created because the Deafhood II stronghold saw it as a threat to their hierarchy stronghold. Over sixty or seventy v/blogs were created during the stir over the new term simply because the Deafhood II stronghold felt threatened by it and rightfully so. We, not deaf enough, had no identity up until now and when we finally discovered an identity for ourselves as deafless, it generated so much energy coming from Deafhood II for an obvious reason. Such term violated their false sense of security, more particularly, their air space.

Bottom line? As explained in the article, many of us struggled in our quests to meet the expectation of the norms, failing to realize that we will never meet their expectations simply because we were not born into the same privileges and resources. Therefore barriers were un-necessarily placed upon us by pivileged few. But fear not, there is always a pathway wherever the barriers are.

In closure I wanted to say that I've read the entire article, word for word and I am very impressed with the contents. As a natural born strategist and critic I searched hard and long for certain line(s) that I’d want to disagree with but could not find any. Much of what was written was what I’ve fought for since day one so I’m very pleased with it. This article emphasized us as human beings, something I’ve preached every where. It also emphasized on the importance of recognizing different modes of communications and wealth of diversified cultures rather than limiting ourselves to what’s ideal to the hierarchy few. Watch my earlier vlog at DVTV known as "Deafless Dynamics Explained" on the subject of cultural wealth and how we invest ourselves.

I also created this blog with one other specific goal, to verify and confirm the article's contents / references that were made from my v/blogs. I did not see any incorrect information therefore I do not have any concerns.

Barry Sewell (aka DR Hocokan)

9 comments:

  1. Hello Barry,

    I found Ann_C's blog about article. I see some same people that still poke at you... same old thing.. nothing is new. Anyways that article is sound interesting... I need to read full article.

    Anyways... You bring up talk about your home land and it remind me of that movie name "FAR and AWAY" Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in that movie. In that movie did dress like buckaro, not even close or not even one that dress up like cowboy. It dress up like buckaroo. That movie is all about race to get free land in Oklahoma (land rush) in late 1800s. I dont know if it truth or not.. I dont care.. it was good movie. It have nice flat land. It all about dream to fight to get their dream. If you have not watch that movie.... you should watch that movie.. it was good movie.

    Sorry that I off point from your blog... since you bring up about your land so I throw thought of that movie to you since you love your land so much.

    JenDreamBigz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good essay and I enjoy reading various perspectives of people who are not afraid to challenge facts. A lot of people need to think for themselves and question everything. Too many people are being conned into believing into something does not exist. I hope that people will understand that their destinty on earth is to search for the truth for themselves and not being force-fed by someone's ideology as if they were real in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry,

    Very NICE blog, discussing the expectations and norms that we often find ourselves facing on a daily basis, not only in the deaf community, but also in the hearing world... just like everyone else.

    I am very glad that Amy Cohen Efron brought it up, challenging us to think differently, especially about the deaf minorities and that SimCom is more prevalent (I do admit that my own kids use SimCom, and they are doing well in mainstream settings.) Joseph and Ann_C stated that the Deaf Studies journal does embrace BOTH cultural and medical based articles, showing no preferences, which is what we need, since everyone is different.

    Oh by the way, I attended Deafhood workshop almost three years ago, and I did not take it seriously... just mostly enjoyed listening to the historical tidbits, but to the rest of it, I took it with a grain of salt, I did read Paddy Ladd's book, BUT I have yet to read JKF's article. I will read it when it's free online.

    By the way, I enjoyed reading about the romance of land you just explained to us the readers... vastness, yet with barriers, and that barriers always come with openings ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 10% of the Deaf community have Deaf parents. The spokespeople of Deafhood evidently do not represent all of this group since you have mentioned that you come from a multigenerational Deaf family.

    Perhaps a majority of the non-DoD people use ASL mixed with oral methods, or SimCom to some extent. They will continue to use that, no matter what a theoretical framework like Deafhood says.

    Not all of the community are ranch landowners such as you are, or feel a lack of oppression as you apparently do.

    That there are people who are in some way unfairly oppressed is a fact. JKF was emphasizing the nonwhite Deaf but what she was actually doing is adding a new dimension to the oppressed sector of the community.

    We must not make the mistake of dismissing them or denying that it exists even if we were fortunate enough to have escaped the worst of it.

    What do we do about it so that all colors and nationalities of d/Deaf people can enjoy the same privileges and perks that the larger majority does?

    Would you be willing to help them find and buy ranch land, too, even if they were so oppressed that they never became wealthy enough? Or would you be willing to teach them a trade where they can succeed in escaping oppression?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Somehow I got my hands on the article ;o) I read it twice and I find it very well thought-out and the authors did their best in being objective in their approach to the deaf minorities of race, ethnics, etc. I see that we in general mostly overlooked the deaf minorities, their role in the langauge of ASL, their contribution to ASL, etc. I see that the deaf community is no different from the hearing community... in the hearing community we also see there is a racial/socio/economical hiercarchy, right or wrong.

    I never viewed Deafhood in the terms of elitism until the authors pointed out the disparcy of whites against races in the study of the language and culture of ASL. Come to think of it, Ella did mention several times in the videocomments that whoever was against the concepts of deafhood and audism was considered as traitors :o( That's pretty narrow-minded. That's why I said that the US version of deafhood struck me a kind of jihad and I still stand by it, even more now that Ella has left the comments in regards to allies and traitors *shrug*

    I strongly believe that we are OK. We ALL need to know that it's OK to be deaf. It's OK to be hard of hearing. It's OK to use SimCom. OK to use cued speech. OK to use ASL. OK to have CIs. OK not to have CIs. OK to wear hearing aids. OK to be black deaf. OK to use English. OK to etc.

    I am glad that the authors pointed out the elitism in the ongoing struggle to keep deaf culture from changing. Change is scary, I know, but it's usually for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally had the opportunity to read the entire contents of the article. Before I ramble, I want you to know that I know it does not require a college education for someone to qualify for discussing abstract thought and scholarly perspectives. There are many historical giants who have never opened a college textbook. College, as Holt might agree, could stunt the freedom of the mind to think for itself.

    There are some things I agree in the article as I have always thought as true, but there are a few things I feel is in error.

    Let me quote the authors for saying the Deaf world is dominated by the hierarchy few. Yes, this is very true. Now, lets move on to the next part where I respectfully disagree. The part where I disagree is in caps--"The hierarchy few took advantage of their privileged life to tout themselves as the Deaf superiors at the expenses of "deaf" others, PLACING THE BARRIERS UPON THESE THAT WERE NOT BORN INTO EXACTLY THE SAME WORLD (ASL-life experience)." There are deaf-others who are a part of the hierarchy few like you and me who do NOT subscribe to the Deafhood II propaganda. They do impose the invisible wall between us and them. Not that I am whining, but it is something for us all to know the hierarchy few contains of some of us who do not fall into the Deafhood II mentality and that we usually are ousted from the circle. This instills fear among some of us into faking that we are all for the principles or else, be shunned.

    Granted there are some principles of Deafhood I feel is important for the survival and the healthy well being of the ASL community and the future deaf children who may finally find wholeness as a Deaf person when discovering ASL and the comunity where they can call Home. We are a minority group who experience discrimination in many situations. Let the Hood voice their strong opinions, but they need to soften up their image and to welcome diversity in deaf thought.

    There are several other points I respectfully disagree with the authors despite the fact that I am a DEAFLESS White native-born ASL user. I'll save this til time is right.

    But, hey...the dynamics can be found anywhere in the world. It is human for the privileged minority group to take control of their own people and fight the system that have been misunderstanding them for so long. That's normal human behavior. I DO understand the intentions of the Hood as true, but I feel they need to soften up a little bit as society continues to evolve so to adjust their priorities to better survive in the modern technology loving society, by representing the interests of those who have different priorities as they are the majority of the American deaf population,especially in Deaf Studies programs nationwide. Unless the word deaf is replaced with the term, ASL Studies (not speaking of the language, but the culture who uses ASL), then they can be at liberty to focus on Deaf-centric values. Hope I am making some sense.

    On a different tune, do you trouble yourself with removing burrs and foxtails from your socks? Or is your pasture free of them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dianrez,

    Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed your comment and will say that I agree with you.

    Undoubtly there are people that have been unfairly oppressed. It's a fact and I agree. I am not dismissing or denying this important fact. I'm saying that there are always ways around oppressions. Escaping it may be a form of art we adopt some time in life but to escape it is different than to recognize oppression before it happens so that we're able to engineer our way around it. I see it coming at me all the time but I've trained my mindset to recognize it before it actually happen so that I am able to avoid it. Anybody could do it regardless of our gender, color (race) or background.

    You asked if I would be willing to help them find and buy ranch land even if they were so oppressed that they never became wealthy enough? Sure would be glad to. However, nobody helped me find and buy a ranch and I was not wealthy by any means when I started out. Nobody rolled out the red carpet for me and say, here's an opportunity waiting for you. I created the opportunity for myself and I did everything the hard way, the good old fashioned way and nobody believed I could make it work. Oppression was everywhere just as it'd be for any person, deaf or hearing but I knew something that most people didn't. Creativity was the name of the game and I got really creative and made it work against all odds. It has nothing to do with whether we could hear / speak or not.

    Am I willing to teach them a trade where they can succeed in escaping oppression? You bet. I can teach what I know and would be willing to teach. And it'd be up to the student on whether they're creative enough to compete in this world with positive attitude. It's going to make all the difference. Once again, it has nothing to do with whether we can hear / speak or not.

    Thanks again for posting a comment here.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen,

    Thank you too for your comment. I agree. The article was very well thought-out. You are correct in stating that the deaf community is no different from the hearing community.

    You're also correct about what Ella has said in the past. I remember them vividly. The notion that whoever was against the concepts of deafhood and audism was considered as traitors. This is how she likes to impose her ideals upon other people's ideals. Pretty narrow-minded, I agree. I've also heard people comparing deafhood II as some sort of a jihad. It stung back then and I think it still does today.

    You are right. It's okay to be deaf, okay to be hard of hearing, and okay to be whatever it's that you are and okay to use whatever communication mode you are most comfortable with. I liked what you said about changes and how it's scary for some but usually for the best.

    Thanks for your insights on the article.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nacpac. As far as I am concerned, Holt is correct when he said that college could stunt the freedom of the mind to think for itself. Thanks for the reminder.

    I appreciate your input on some of the things in the article that you felt was drafted in error. However when you quoted the article you actually quoted my comment from this blog instead of what was actually quoted in the subject article. Regardless I'll address them anyway.

    I agree that there are deaf-others who are not a part of the hierarchy few like yourself and myself. Neither the article nor I were accusing each one of us of the crime. We're just saying that wherever and whenever there's such a hierarchy this person will have come from a deaf family lineage who were exposed to more than average ASL-life than the rest did. And whenever such character surfaces then they do impose the invisible wall between us and them. And you're absolutely right in stating that whenever there's a hierarch few they do not always subscribe to deafhood II philosophy. You are right. I've seen many individuals faking their status with Ella and Deafhood for the fear that they'd be targeted the way I was targeted. People did not want to endure what I had to endure so they're faking their status for the sake of peace and quiet.

    I feel the same way as you do about deafhood. Some of its principles is evidently important for the survivality of our language and our future generation. However understand this, deafhood did not invent the principles. It's an old principle long before deafhood was even invented. They just did not have a term (body)to incorporate the principles into until deafhood showed up. But in reality, the principle existed before deafhood did. I have no objection on how the Hood voice their strong opinions. My only objection at this point is how they've desperately tried to impose their principles upon each one of us, many times against our will. They need to soften up and respect other people's point of views in order to preserve diversity and tolerance.

    I also agree that it's human's nature for the privileged few to take charge of the reins and try to protect their people but to 'control' them is a different matter. To protect, given people's liberty to choose whether they want the protection is appropriate but to force the protection upon them is not appropriate at all. It's unethical in my book. Instead of forcing things upon them, help them make informed decisions. That's why I said "we're not dogs" numerous times to these hoodized people.

    I like the idea of changing the term deaf study to ASL study. But the term deaf is always preferred because it commands the necessary fundings from many sources whereas the language itself could not. It always boil down to funding issues and we're slaves to funds every where we turn. Not a lot of options on the table right now.

    The burrs and foxtails never make its way to my socks because I wear cowboy boots. Don't come and visit us wearing your birkenstocks! Ha ha.... Actually we take pride in minimizing cheat grasses on our ranch. We do not allow foreign seedings on our ranch for this reason however it does not mean we're free of them. Bad seeds are carried by the cow's hoof as well as our vehicle tires.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete