Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Death of Galladuet University
and Deaf Education?

Greetings brothers and sisters. I could not help but wonder about the fate of Gallaudet University (known for its Liberal Art Education) and Deaf Education when I ran into an article seen at Newsweek.

Upon reading it I was reminded of something a Native American Elder said not very long ago. He said that our schools do not teach people the things they need to know. And that the day was coming when their education will fail them because they did not teach them the spirituality. Instead they learned how to get a job, make money, and manage business, but they do not know spirituality.

Then he asked a question. What can we use our education for when there is nothing that will work? He went on to say that everything will be coming down and there will be a time when money will be of no use.

He went on to say that the people have to have the education that won't fail us, that of spiritual path. People are afraid now. The way of life they were taught turned out to be different. It is like they were taken in with a lie. Not everyone got rich or had a big house and fine cars. They gave everything they had to a company or a corporation (Note: Universities and Special Education are corporate entities as well) and then they found out they did not have a job. Now everybody's trying to take care of themselves because everything around them fell apart. Nobody knows where to turn. So people are angry and look only to take care of themselves. If we continue as we are doing, we will destroy ourselves.

End quote.

Upon thinking about what this Native American Elder had to say not very long ago, I could not help but think about the deaf community and how they have been reacting to certain issues and why. It was no accident when deaf people formed Deafhood & Audism Free America and touted 'audism' every time they struggled. They are doing it because their education failed them. They're sensing the death of Gallaudet University and Deaf Education. The problem is they're blaming it on all the wrong people, failing to realize that they have themselves to blame. They accepted an education that lacked spirituality therefore their education are failing them today.

Instead of realizing the core problem they're blaming it on hearing people and touting 'audism'. Well, guess what? The education is also failing hearing people as well so we are left with one boiling question.... who will we blame next? The white men with "old europe" mindset who brought their own version of education and books to this nation over 250 years ago. Gradually through the time they led this nation astray.

The funny thing is, not long ago Paddy Ladd, an European white man brought us a book called Deafhood. The history has a way of repeating itself.

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree deaf education is a pretty poor, and doesn't equip deaf people to advance themselves in the mainstream. There is a very naive viewpoint by some Deaf an cultural education and language is the best way ahead. The fact is after education is finished, their options are often extremely limited. Holistic approaches to communication are an absolute priority for the deaf child, they are NOT going to work with deaf people afterwards, but will need to be able to work with people who do NOT sign at them, simply attacking the holistic approach because sign doesn't get a priority, is priming the deaf for years of misery. I would suggest in education, deaf politics and culture should take second place to an effective means of communicating to the outside world, at Gally we saw the results of following that direction, always the deaf look INWARD not outward. For most deaf people culture is a luxury, but communication in mainstream an absolute priority, and one being opposed for rather obscure reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MM, thank you for your insightful comment. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments on my vlog, I understand your point of view, as I say in my vlog spiritually is what guide the Indians in their life, it is possible that we can use that throughout our educational system, I often associated spirituality with the New Age movement of eastern origin, the Indians are guardian of the earth, naturally get their education from mother nature. My response on Youtube is limited to 10 minutes, so I only touch the surface, by no means to be disrepectble, what we need is a panel discussing on the issue in question, which needs time for research coming up with the facts to supports one's viewpoint. Vlog/Blogs have its limitation, wish I had time for more deep discussion, we are limited by whatever tools we have on our disposal. The Internet is a great venue for debates, sharing our outlook on life. If I know you well personally, maybe my discussion be revelant. We need more interlectual discussion on DVTV, as there are always two sides of every issue. I myself from a liberal background, may have a loose interpretation of the ways I look at things, probably will never get along well with a conservative, unless we accept ourselves as human beings, being tolerance of others that don't necessarily agreed with you. I been to 3i countries, seeing the differences in our customs and beliefs, there is a wide spectrum out there to explore, gaining knowledge to appreciate the world we live in or take for granted.I know your subjects may be controversials, but what is life without them, it is what attracted us in the first place. You can't walk pass the National Enquirer without looking as them at the supermarket cashier in the same manner we Deaf can't pass up the oppotunity to check in what you and others such as Ridor, etc may be up to.
    Take care rounding up the cattles and branding them and mediating to the Great Spirit.
    I don't often do much vlogs, most of my time doing satire blogs which some unfortunately take seriously dispite the disclaimer.
    May the Sky, Earth, Fire, and Water be with you,
    Gary Fitts
    Deaf Anthology

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary,

    Thank you too for your comment. Appreciated them.

    Just wanted to state that there is a huge difference between Native American's version of spirituality and the so-called New Age movement. Just for the record, I'm against New Age movement simply because they're trying to re-invent the wheel, that of Medicine Wheel that were traditionally taught by the Native Americans. There is no need to re-invent the wheel even though there are some people out there who do make the effort to re-invent it anyway.

    I recognized the disadvantage of using youtube as a platform for this type of discussion. It's why I posted this video at four different locations, with hope to open up a broader base for further discussion.

    I do not necessarily agree with the need for a panel to discuss people's point of views simply because there are a lot of things that a panel will never understand, namely spirituality. Such topic is not easily covered because spiritual language are literally wordless. One can not easily describe or even discuss spiritual language.

    And yes, I agree with you about the limitation of v/blog forum. We're using it the best we knew how, utilizing the very resource that's presently available and at our disposal. You also made a valid point stating that your discussion may be some what more relevant if you knew me personally. That could be true. I find it somewhat interesting to see how people think they're able to host intellectual discussion on the things that are spiritual. A very difficult task if you ask me.

    Liberal background does not frighten a conservative like myself. It's usually the liberals that are spooked by the presence of conservative simply because they are the medium of what's radical right or a radical left. Ha ha... just being funny here.

    Also was funny to read your analogy comparing my subjects with National Enquirers. Funny. I thought I blew Ridor into pieces some time ago so I was surprised to see his name mentioned next to mine once again. Ha ha...

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I do not necessarily agree with the need for a panel to discuss people's point of views simply because there are a lot of things that a panel will never understand, namely spirituality. Such topic is not easily covered because spiritual language are literally wordless. One can not easily describe or even discuss spiritual language."

    People will not understand the spirituality if it is not explained to them. The opinion you express could be viewed as a bit elitist. "It's for me to know, and for you to work it out..." Some people need that guide.....

    I'd agree any 'panel' approach would fail, belief is a very personal journey.... each must find their own way to travel it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your time. I have an opportunity to discuss with you.

    I must say, each deaf school are different. For my experience, is very poor education. Good thing that is my mother was advocating for my education. I was forced to switch to mainstream, for education purposes. Even, I moved to junior school, at grade 7, skipping grade 6. Reasons are behind this. Firstly, teachers (at DHHP) are not capable to promote my education. Second, I still have to stay in so called DHHP (Deaf & Hard of Hearing Program) because my education is not capable for regular education that public schools provide. Third, it is so easy for me to accomplish DHHP grades.
    Now, I am a grade 11 student, mainstreamed.
    But, just to let you know that some deaf school have excellent education.

    Anyways, now point to your vlog/blog... Yes, you are absolutely right. I don't have stuff to say, because you point out almost all of things.

    Come to think, if liberal education are vanished away, what education would be like? Spiritually school... Hmm. I was imaging that most of people will go work earlier as a junior, working with experienced employee, just less pay. Or more involved in marketing? Maybe more like freelance, people had to gain knowledge by experiencing and have creativity to attract employers?

    Wow, I like to typing, but time consuming!

    Riley

    ReplyDelete