Saturday, July 17, 2010

Deaf Culture?



I posted a comment under Candy's Blog and thought I'd blog about it as well. Here goes....

Candy's blog offered an interesting read again. I decided to post my thoughts on the subject because of the irony. Last night I was having an interesting ‘cultural’ discussion with members of K’amligihahlhaahl. They're also known as Nisga'a. This Native American tribe is located on the coastal side of British Columbia. They are people of totem poles. They’re one of the most traditional tribe you will run into today, culture-wise. The photo seen here is a wooden mask used by K'amligihahlhaahl.

We talked about culture and the rules that people of ANY culture must follow. In this discussion I made several references to deaf culture. The goal was simple. We wanted to understand the principle of rules behind any kind of culture. A K’amligihahlhaahl woman showed me a book called “From Time Before Memory, The People of K’amligihahlhaahl”. She opened pages 14 and 15 and brought my attention to the rules of ANY culture. Needless to say that the article captured my attention.

It explained about Family and Identity as the primary ingredients and source of a culture. Ones’ identity is developed after he or she becomes actively involved as a member of a group or something. If someone asked who you were you might say “I am Bob” or “I am Kate”. But what if they wanted to know more? You might say, “I like to read. I am a fast runner. I have two sisters. I am honest. I like the color green”. These are all facts about yourself and together they make up your identity.

The book also identified two facts that are always used to identify person's identity. It boiled down to person's "tribe” and “house”. In white man’s layman term it would mean 'group’ and ‘location’, where we were raised. Some of us were raised in the big cities. Some of us were raised in a small town or on a farm out in the country. Therefore the culture of the very location where we were raised will play a role in our identity. Approximately 5% of us were raised in a deaf family therefore the culture of a deaf child of a deaf family will not be the same as a deaf child of a hearing family therefore it is impossible for us to expect ALL of us to share the same ‘deaf culture’ that we hear so much about.

Because we all came from different parts of the nation where there are multiple cultural bases, as in cultures of western folks, traditional tribes, red necks, hilly billies, etc; Everything that we’ve accumulated through the years do play an important role in how our identities are developed. Therefore the folklife of a deaf person will always vary greatly when we compare the two.

The book also pointed out the very basic rules of ‘membership’. It laid out four simple things to follow in order to hold an identity necessary for a cultural value. 1) Family 2) House 3) Tribe (group) 4) Nation (location).

Upon reading these basic rules I could not help it but ponder about deaf culture. Do we all share the same family? No. Do we all share the same house? No. Do we all belong to the same Tribe (group)? No. Do we all belong to the same Nation (location)? No.

Now, why are these things important? The book had an answer and I’ll share them with you. It says, “There are important rules in a society about how members of these groups behave toward each other. They are much like the rules that people of any culture must follow. These rules help a society know how to behave in different situations and during difficult times. They help keep the society strong”.

In short, without these basic rules a society will never be able to reach its prime as a cultural group. This made me think and ponder about Deaf people who love to tout their so-called cultural values on daily basis. Are these people mindful of the basic rules? At this point I have my doubts.

Why? If deaf people really understood the basic principles here they would know how to behave toward each other. They would know how to behave in different situations and during difficult times". I'm seeing an exact opposite of how a culturally based group are supposed to behave. I think I'm beginning to understand why there is a long history of divisive behavior within the deaf community. It may be due to lack of 'rule' laid out by the People of K’amligihahlhaahl.

My life long journey with the Native Americans continues... because I know they have much to teach us.

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to point something for the readers.

    The cultures for every Native America tribe do vary for all the same reasons. Each tribe had different cultural values due to variance in identities based on four basic points I've laid out in this blog. History will show one tribe going to war against other tribe. It's largely due to variance in culture and identities even though we see them as Native Americans.

    The same is true for deaf people. We all are from different locations and participated in different groups. Therefore we will never be able to foster an idea Deaf culture for all the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blame the cultural hype personally, if you are deaf you are part of a culture or community. This was used considerably by those who profess cultural ID. Linking this with a community, and even when obviously seeing such huge differences within the loss and profoundly deaf are, pout this down to "Well, hearing communities have this too, you are still part of ours..." sort of thing. It becomes so diluted an ideal, you may just as well include hearing in it. At every juncture the deaf align themselves with whatever it takes to suggest an cultural identity. Really the only thing that stands out, is some use sign language and a lot don't, the issue is, it is communication, not culture as many would see it. Since the definition of a culture requires only one maxim, (Any obvious means where two people communicate the same way), it just makes for more confusion. For every decibel loss there is another view on the ID... Look at any representative grouping, who state 'deaf and hard of hearing' and see the reality is 90% HoH and an odd-bod collection of those at the business end. The obsession with having a culture, is this necessary in 2010 ? Are we all not 'global' now ? Culture is more valid in the third world than in the more prosperous 1st/2nd worlds,because they are still needing to band together for equality, whereas we are increasingly NOT needing the support of other deaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will always be a question mark when it comes to deaf culture. With other ethnicity, there isn't a question but accepted view based on history of tradition passed on over years within the same family. Then again there are too many different categories of deaf/hoh people. The cultural norms are not the same for every deaf/hoh either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it's a culture with no community, and anyone can join. That means I have 4 ID's now, I'm welsh, I'm British, I'm deaf, and I have been hearing ,6 if you count I had hearing loss for ages, and use sign as well). I've reverted to me, far less hassle :) I use whatever suits me at the time, so that's another floating ID I have, anyone think of a term for that... (All join in for few chorus's of "We are the world...").

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obtained from wikipedia on "culture"
    *Excellence of taste in the fine arts and humanities, also known as high culture

    *An integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for symbolic thought and social learning
    *The set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization or group

    So, as deaf culture? This does not fit because of infighting among each other. In other words, it is NOT a "deaf culture"

    Deaf community, yes it make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deaf culture..... it does not compute...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. I agree. I agree. LOL. You guys said it all. Thanks for your comments. Really appreciate them. I hear the other side grumbling about it because their "D" status depend on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Ben... I don't think very many people are aware of the joke between you and I on butterflies. Ha ha... I could not forget that one because it was too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't find a button "like" this...

    So, I like this blog :-D

    ReplyDelete