Saturday, July 10, 2010

NAD, a society of the Illusions?

I'm presently enjoying myself some where in the far north this morning, smelling the scents of pine and tamarack trees with a world class view of a very calm river. I see a couple of fishing boats sporting for hearty meals, tempting me to try my luck some time soon.

As I sat here this morning watching the faithful sun making its regular visit this time of the day I had to wonder about NAD's ongoing events in Pennsylvania and reflect some the things that I've been able to monitor, thanks to DeafRead.com and DeafVideo.tv.

I took a peek of 'College Bowl' to get an idea of the so-called excitement and was disappointed to learn that it was more of a Trivial Pursuit, a popular game for those so-called geniuses with bulky memory drives in their head. I was hoping it'd be more of a debate club containing selections of qualifiers from three institutions. It's not just the base of intelligence and knowledge that will make or break our community. It's our ability to articulate thoughts and place them into a debate that will take us where we need to go. And then I watched to see how the representatives of Gallaudet University touted itself as the best "higher education" program for the deaf. Forgive me but it was a laughable moment for me when they made such declaration. Did they really give all other Universities with Deaf Education program the same opportunity to compete in this College Bowl? Surely not. The best, eh? Dream on...

And then I came across Candy's Blog. That was an interesting read. I had not followed NAD's CEO candidates so for that reason I appreciated what little information I was able to pick off and read this morning. I know and I understand that Candy's blog reflects how she felt and how she might see things.

Based on what was said in Candy's Blog I can appreciate Darlene’s desire for financial independence. I’ve made numerous financial suggestions to NAD through the years with hope that they would eventually learn how to build their financial estates rather than dwelling on membership dues and grants. Unfortunately such advice fell on deaf ears for a very long time so for that reason I’m surprised to see some lights in the tunnel. However, based on her view of abused rights of deaf babies, it rang a familiar sour tune for me. Radical. Extremist. I started to smell DBC, AFA, Deafhood and such. This, will spell death for NAD if they’re foolish enough to go down the same beaten path.

Experience has taught us to know that we ought not to confuse ourselves between the difference of a proven teacher and a proven leader and politician. It takes an exceptionally talented individual to accomplish the feats of a financial guru. I have yet to meet a teacher that was a financial guru.

As for Howard, I think I’ve seen him in a video once or twice but I’m not sure where. I’ll worry about that later. However, based on what Candy laid out, I’m concerned about the ‘lawyer’ mentality. A leader that has the mentality of an attorney is not always productive. They seem to think that everything is solved through legal means. They’re usually emotionless because they were schooled and trained to think that way. This much was assured when you laid out 7 E’s (Equality, Enforcement, Education, Employment, Enjoyment of life and Expansion of our members, most through enforcement). Scary because history will teach us how well ‘freedom’ and ‘enforcement’ mix. Not too well, if you ask me. The statement ‘most through enforcement’ caught my eyes. I’ll tell you why.

Enforcing equality? The law has tried it for many decades and we’re still very off the base. Enforcing enforcement? Sounds like a heavy hand tactic.

Enforcing education? As an advocate of John Holt’s unschooling philosophy I know for a fact that education will happen with or without a teacher. It’s human’s nature to learn the things we need to learn. In short, education will happen with or without enforcement. I have a problem with enforcing education upon others because we’re at an age where the things we need to learn are rapidly changing. Much of what we learn in the educational system are obsolete and outdated.

Enforcing employment? That’s the path our nation has undertaken numerous times and each time they did, they failed miserably. This is other word for artificial economy, as in stimulus economy. They tried to force employment growth, through unnatural methods and each time it resulted in ballooned debt and failed policies. I do not know Howard’s background and training in the financial sector but he would learn immensely if he began to study and observe these matters. Enforcing employment is a bad policy.

Enforcing enjoyment of life? Funny because our nation tried it many times in the past century. Sure, we had a blast in the 1910′s, 1930′s, 1950′s, 1970′s, and 1990′s. These years were the hey days where people enforced enjoyment of life and what was the result? Debts. More debts on top of debts, leading us to this mountain of debts we’re facing today. As a society we’re slowly learning the meaning of ‘spending within the means of our life’. In short, it means we ought to learn to spend less than what we bring in, barring the concept for liabilities and debts.

Enforcing an expansion of NAD members? I’d love to see them try and enforce me to join NAD. Mind you, it is not how they are going to win the hearts and minds of deaf people. I do not need to tell you that people are most effective and empowered when they join at their own free-will. The same is true for parents of deaf children. Forcing them to do something that’s against their will and you’ll create a powerful alliance you’ll wish y0u never created.

My choice for NAD’s next CEO? Those who know me know that I do not settle for second best so I’ll have to say that none of the candidates would have won my vote. And yes, I drive a very hard bargain every where I go. It’s how we excel in everything that we do. Too many people these days are too willing to settle for ‘second best’ therefore it becomes them, a society of the cynics.

Regardless, I’ll wish them the best of luck in choosing their next CEO.

Instead of a trivial game for these so-called geniuses I'd love to see some kind of debate club containing numerous deaf education programs from different colleges come together for a College Bowl event. It's high time we placed a greater challenge for ourselves.

And lastly, I'm still waiting, patiently, for answers on the four definitions of Audism that were endorsed by NAD. I certainly hope they have not swept the issue under the rug thinking we're going to unconditionally forgive them for their misgivings.

I'd better get back to the nature and reclaim some of my sanity. Be Hopi! (be happy)


7 comments:

  1. How about you actually go to the NAD conference, an Academic Bowl, etc. before you go off putting everyone and everything down. You are full of
    words without action. You are full of criticism. You are full of advice
    without a plan.
    There are a world of fine Deaf people out there
    doing things to make life better. You won't get this info
    through blogs. It takes seeing it first hand.
    I dare you to come out from behind your computer and interact
    with people who are involved in all levels of efforts to bring civil,
    economic, and educational equality a reality for the Deaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I posted a response to you over at my blog, and will paste it here...

    theholism, Howard said some of the 6 E’s involves enforcement, so I don’t think he meant all of them. ;) But, yes, he is a lawyer and as such I can see why his view is to tackle the issues by ensuring that the laws related to deaf community is enforced. We do have many laws in place but the question is, are they enforced? I believe in first trying to resolve issue and lawsuit should be the last resort. I have NEVER been involved in NAD and do not know the real story other than my involvement with Jr. NAD in high school. I do see that NAD need to be stronger and it need to represent all modalities. My reasoning for that is simply we don’t need to be like other organization that has a vision that applies to one category such as listening and speaking. NAD should be able to show the world that it respects diversity and that should include all modalities while at the same time respecting sign language and deaf culture.

    Sounds like you're having a grand ole time getting back to nature! Something I also need to do at my end! ;) Appreciate your input and I do feel that as always, NAD can improve in many areas and one of the things I can do is to be involved which is something I am contemplating. This way, I can see for myself what is really happening and to see if the deaf community does have the opportunity to really help make the change that NAD so badly need. Ahh, decisions...decisions. But, for now, getting back to nature sounds appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I've said this many times and I will say it again. I've been boycotting NAD for over 25 years now and the boycott continues even unto today. However it does not mean I'm not allowed to talk about NAD and play the role of a critic.

    It's within our rights to be a critic of something especially when they claim to represent us. My sticking point with NAD has always been this, false representation. NAD has always claimed to represent us but yet refuses to allow us to vote within the system unless we paid our dues and joined the organization.

    I've never been the one that caves into pressures coming from peers like yourself. I'm sitting on the outside because that's where I want to be. I want to make you people ponder about things and think. There are many of us out there that hold many of the answers and solutions that you guys are desperately seeking but yet we've refuse to contribute. The reason is simple. We do not want to help NAD continue behave the way they've behaved for many decades, by sticking their thumbs in deaf people's noses.

    Few days ago a good friend of mine, Yellow Bird, said to me, 'when the student is ready, the teacher will come'. It reminded me of NAD.

    It appears you are one of these people who sincerely believe that the only way you could contribute is by being there physically and be the "yes" person to everything NAD spews out of its' mouth.

    Sean Gerlis made a similar point in his video comment under one of my latest vlog. I told him that there were 1,001 ways to contribute and talked about many of the things I've done to contribute to the societies. It's unfortunate for people like you who can't seem to see very far because you're entrapped inside of a closed society, as if the rest of the world did not matter.

    I don't doubt the fact that there are so many fine deaf people out there. I never claimed differently.

    I never claimed to have ALL of the information on everything that's going on at NAD's convention either. However based on what I've seen to date I don't think I'd be interested. It's been pretty much the same way for the past 25 years. Nothing much has changed, really. They're always after one thing. Glory. They bring in bright ideas in order to seek glory. They glorify each other thinking they are some kind of new hero. Come back in 10 or 20 years and you'll see pretty much all the same things again. It was how the Romans did it. They glorified themselves to death until it destroyed them.

    And lastly, I respectfully disagree on the notion of having to see things first hand in order to understand or believe. People without faith speak such language. Mind you, I'm not without faith. I do not need to see something in order to believe it exists. It goes against my principle.

    Your 'dare' challenge is an easy one. Going to NAD's conventions is EASY! So easy, anybody could do it. There, we would pat each other's back all week long and make believe that we're one happy society. Glorify each others and be glorified. Go home and hang onto this darn good feeling for as long as you can. That's the easy part because it's within our comfort zone to do something like that.

    Let's talk about real challenges that I've been tackling for the past 28 years. Go to places where deaf people simply don't go. Attend meetings where deaf people simply don't go. Give speeches at places in other cultures and languages that's different from yours. Like what I did last week and few weeks ago and many times before that.

    I am always out searching for people who have absolutely no idea what we, deaf people, are all about. That's more than you could say for yourself, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your response, Candy.

    I'm pretty sure Howard did not mean to apply enforcement on all 6 E's. I was not sure which one might apply and which might not so I made points on all of them for the sake of an argument, pointing out why enforcement isn't always a viable idea regardless of the substance.

    I do agree on the importance of ensuring that the laws related to deaf community are enforced, yes. But it does not help the stigma we are already stuck with, being trigger happy when it comes down to lawsuits. It's almost as if it's all the deaf community seem to understand these days. Go to any deaf related social event and you'll almost always find a conversation regarding lawsuit against somebody for unfairness, discrimination or lack of access to communication. I mean, it's that bad. And to think we might get an attorney for a CEO, it certainly won't help our image.

    Better get back to the nature where things are whole a lot simpler. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry Sewell:

    You were NOT eligibe to vote for the NAD's new CEO. That is why you were blogging negatively about the NAD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean,

    That'c correct. I, like the majority of deaf people out there were not eligible to vote for NAD's new CEO therefore NAD does not represent us. I'd like to thank you for acknowledging this important fact.

    Seconldly, it's not the reason why I blogged negatively about NAD. I pointed out what was already obvious, that of how a closed society functioned.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barry,

    I finish watch NAD video at DVTV/DR.... I don't see anybody talk about ASL marketing plan...??

    Most they talk general that link to "Deaf/baby RIGHT". I don't see ASL marketing. I getting losing interest in NAD.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete