Monday, November 8, 2010

Deaf, World Class Whiners


Just wanted to point out the obvious for you.

Numerous so-called culturally and linguistically "D" deaf people are world class whiners.

Thanks to long historic line of Deaf Whiners, the deaf community is known as the society of world class whiners.

Mind you, whining is as contagious as our laughter and smile. When you laugh there is almost certain somebody nearby that's going to laugh as well for absolutely no reason at all. When you smile you will generate smiles on the faces of people that surrounds you. It's no different when you whine. It's so contagious.

There is also a famous saying that goes something like this... who you are depends on who you hang around with. One does not need to look very far to see this proof.

Thinking back and reflecting on my life experience in the deaf community I realized how often I have had to sit down and listen to all the whining done by the capital "D" society through the years. There is always a reason to whine about something. Or is there, really? Or is it a habit forming behavior where people feel the need to whine regardless of the good things that are happening?

I would like to cite a recent event. Amazingly some culturally and linguistically Deaf people found a reason to whine about The Extreme Makeover event at Oregon School for the Deaf. I thought it was a beautiful project that would enlighten our deaf education program but yet there were some of you who managed to find reasons to whine about it! Some of you lodged your complaints at facebook and whined about the promotion of hearing aids by this Extreme Makeover group.

Here it comes again, the same old tiresome sound of waaahhh waaahhh waaahhh. Did I say anything about it? No, not yet. I ignored the whining once more. I sort of expected it and asked myself, so what's new?

And finally yesterday my wife posted a video in her facebook. The video was done by Jubilee Project. She told me about it because she thought it was a beautiful story that promoted ASL. I took few minutes to watch it and smiled afterwards. I liked it and saw the bright side to it. I was never fooled by the notion that the actress might be deaf. As soon as the lady spelled 'deaf' in ASL I knew she was not deaf. But I didn't see a problem with that simply because the underlying message was more important than the details. They were promoting ASL at no cost to us.

And yet, did somebody whine about it? Unbelievably Yes!

By evening hours I saw the return of this whining society who found a reason to whine about the video. There was a blog done by Amy known as Deaf World As Eye See It.

I left a comment under her blog and stated my thoughts;

I could not help it but think about how our deaf community are perceived by this world as world class whiners after producing series of complaints.

FYI, acting means exactly that, a job of acting like somebody that you are not. Acting means pretty much anybody could try and act like somebody else that they are not. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of acting.


End quote.

This well known Deaf Whiner named Shel had this to say to me;

Barry, quit putting down the Deaf community and assuming how Hearing people would perceive us as Deaf people.

Would you have said Blacks were world class whiners when they went on the Civil Rights Movement? When Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of the bus? Was she a world class whiner when she protested racism?

Were women world class whiners when they protested sexism and the prohibition against women voting?

Would you even dare call GLBT community world class whiners when they protest against heterosexism and homophobia?

Nosireebob, you would not, Barry! So kindly cut it out with us, the Deaf community, when it comes to audism!

Amy, pardon me for flaming Barry, but I have had it with his putting down the Deaf community.


End quote.

I responded;

Funny how you saw my comment as putting down the deaf community. I saw it as a form of encouragement for the deaf community to learn how to see bright side to everything. I saw that video and thought it was awesome because it had a bright side to it only to learn that there are people whining about it. Some people like yourself, perhaps, love to bring out the negativity in everything they touch or see. It’s a reflection of sad mentality. I’ve always saw bright side to everything that hearing people do therefore I’ve always thrived where ever I go. And because I see things differently you categorize it as putting deaf people down.

Would I have said blacks were world class whiners when they whined? Yes, if I was a black person I certainly would. Would I have called women world class whiners when they whined? Yes I would if I was a woman. Would I call GLBT community a world class whiners? Yes I would if I was gay. But I’m not black, woman and gay so I’ve not made such claim but if I was that then yes I would because I know there is bright side to everything and there are ways to educate people on these subjects in a positive way, something you seem to struggle with.


End quote.

My message to this so-called "D" society. Kindly remind yourself of how contagious whining is before you whine again. And more importantly, remind yourself of how ugly your "D" society would look every time you let out this waaahhh waaahhh waaahhh whine of yours.

15 comments:

  1. Barry, Just want to let you know that I enjoyed reading your post. You knew how to replied on someone's silly attacks on you. Your replied back to Shem are very good answer.

    It is tough to listen to those whiners while I can enjoy laughing, and smiles around here.

    Willy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right Willy. We are very blessed in so many different ways and yet these whiners still trying their hardest to whine about every silly things. They are a group of ungrateful people and that makes me sick.

    Thanks for posting your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I see. Yes, I "winced" about OSD... I did point out that if a showing of kids having fun at an amusement park, next to being shown being fitted and responding to hearing aids would balance it out... just my opinion. As for hearing aids, lucky kids, since hearing aids are expensive and health insurances don't always cover 100% on aids.

    As for the Julibee project, I actually thought and still think it's a nice touch. I thought the lady was deaf... so she did a good job acting like a deaf person. Would be nice to see more deaf people in the show business tho.

    Anyway, you have a good point... why whine? Yeah.

    By the way, I like the photo of the horse... funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand, Karen. However it's culturally impolite in this nation to complain about the gift you were given. Is it not? How is this different when the crew of Extreme Makeover offered deaf kids some hearing aids? Because it was not the amusement park they figured they had the right to complain about the nature of the gift? That behavior in itself is ugly. Very ugly.

    I mean, nobody was forced to accept and wear hearing aids. Gift means exactly that, a gift. Don't want it? Don't accept it. Just don't whine about the nature of the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly right Ben. Very good points there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barry, LOL, I was the one who post a whine status about OSD and it led you to post the whine subject in your blog. I did whine after they sent them to The Sharkey Hearing Center but after I read your comments and I now understand. I applaud you for your greatly patience and tried to point out about the whine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Darro. You were one of them but not the only one. ; ) I still have all the respect in the world for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm. Stooping down to namecalling, eh? Wouldn't that be bullying? Let's see... Hmmm..

    AHA! DeafRead Guidelines #8 8) Name Calling and Discrimination:

    Naming a person is still fine, however if the named person is insulted, or targeted negatively, it will raise a flag for which we will survey the post more closely. Criticizing an idea or organization is fine. Any exceedingly negative posts, regardless of whether a name is used, will be omitted.

    On recorded documentation (paper and electronic), names and other identifying markers must be redacted, erased, crossed out to the point of unreadability.


    Looks like your blog has violated that guideline. Namecalling... tsk tsk.

    By the way, I agree with what Dianrez said in response to YOUR response to me.

    "Holism, what you are actually saying is if black people, gay people and women weren’t world class whiners, but instead “educated people in a positive way” it would work.

    Um, no, it doesn’t work that way. Knowledge of histoy would show that people have died for less than “whining”. The status quo can only be changed with effort, and the beginning of effort is exactly what you call “whining”. Raising consciousness, in other words. Educating people starting by pointing out the deficiencies.

    In calling deaf people “whiners” you are actually whining yourself. Can you be more positive and educate us the way you think it should be done? Set an example."

    Precisely, Dianrez!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shel, same old stuff coming from you. I responded to Dianrez in other blog and will address it here for the record. It appears you're unable to respond to my response. Instead you thought you could dwell on what Dianrez had to say. Well, I have this to say to her;

    Dianrez,

    You have a habit of putting words in my mouth. A nasty habit.

    The analogy of black, women and gay people were not mine. The choice of words belongs to Shel so kindly give credit where it’s due. I only answered her hypothetical question.

    And no, I never said that by educating people in a positive way that it would work. That was your choice of words. Read my statement again and come back with a more accurate quote.

    You clearly do not know the difference between whining and pointing out the obvious, which is exactly what I’ve done. Your desperate effort to paint me as the individual that put deaf people down was really cute. I’m talking to the whiners that’s been doing the whining. It’s pointing out the obvious.

    I’ve already set many examples on how one could be effective in making effective changes by being positive and educational on different subjects. This is my life story. I didn’t get this far by whining. I got this far by setting an example. You’re obviously turning a blind eye on the examples I’ve set. It’s your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is in response to Dianrez and Shel’s campaign for distortions.

    I see things differently and that’s not news. Everybody in the v/blog sphere knows that about me already. Their statement was more of a strategic comment than anything else, with hope that I’d cease from sharing my point of view with the rest of the world because they were not in tune with their views. Even worse Shel left a comment under my vlog and categorically claimed my comments as bullying just because I saw things differently. This is beyond weird. I’m supposed to think like her and agree with her point of views and I’m bullying if I don’t? That’s lame!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And by the way Shel, why don't you try and prove the 'name calling' case. My blog is still here and it's still found on deafread.com and readable by all. Evidently you have been unable to establish you case. The reason is simple. The content of this blog did not make reference to any specific person(s).

    Secondly, my blog did not discriminate either. It did not begin to distinguish or differentiate anybody or any group for that matter. Instead it focused on characteristic traits of SOME culturally and linguistically "D" deaf people.

    Next time do yourself a favor by reading more carefully. You'll be the fool every time if you don't.

    Can't help you with aufism issues. Unfortunately for you it is not a legal term to begin with. Better yet, it's not in my my vocabulary and will never be. Deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry Shel, your latest comment did not make it here because you tried to speak for me. You don't have my permission to do that. Instead, learn to speak for yourself and address the issue. If you can't do that then don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Respected Man,
    I had been searching for a real man. I have found you once I watched your videos via YouTube. I would like to talk something. Can you email me with your skype id? My email id: anirbeen.dasgupta@gmail.com
    I am Deaf from India. Will look forward to meeting you soon!
    Warm Regards,
    Anirban

    ReplyDelete