Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Blacks, Gays, Women's Rights. Deaf Rights?

I have been observing some of the 'Deaf' rights movement for the past several years and I had to wonder if they really knew what they were doing. They kept comparing their movement with black movement, gay movement, women movement and such. Oftentimes they would make reference to civil rights leaders such as MLK Jr. and such.

Well, comparing us to the blacks, gays and women's civil movement is NOT a valid notion and I'll tell you why. People in this world will NEVER grasp the concept for wanting to stay 'disabled', especially in the light of modern technologies we have today. They can not turn a black guy into a white guy so they rallied for their rights. I don't agree with gay lifestyle and practices but apparently they could not undo a gay person and turn him into a straight person. So, naturally they rallied for their rights. They can't undo a woman and turn her into a male so they rallied for their rights. They could not turn Native Americans into White Europeans so they rallied for their rights. But what do we do now that they can help a deaf person hear sounds? Rally for our rights to stay disabled? That will NEVER make sense to the world no matter how hard the deafies fight them. They are waging a battle that simply can not be won.

Furthermore... these civil rights movement fought for new ideas and new changes. They wanted to rid themselves of old world and old theories. The movement to retain the old world and old theories belonged to the Kings and Queens. It belonged to white supremacist who wanted to enslave the blacks. It belonged to men who wanted to control women. It belonged to white Europeans who wanted to control the Native Americans. The list goes on and on.

Now, if you think about it... those who tried to cling onto the old world have ALWAYS failed. Exactly what is it that some of you were trying to do these days? Some of you are fighting to keep the old world and old theories. Some of you are fighting to keep your century old culture and language. Now, kindly tell me the truth. Which movement is actually fighting for new ideas and changes? You guessed it. Organizations like AG Bell, EHDI, Hands & Voices, and such. These movement are actually comparable to some of the prominent civil rights activists who sought after new world and new ideas. To fight for old world and old ideas parallels with the likes of Kings and Queens, white supremacists, and men who controlled their women. And YES! Deafies who wanted control over deaf children. Think about it.

Before you compare yourself with Martin Luther King, Jr. and the likes, you are going to have to constantly demonstrate new ideas and promote new changes. It will require you to move away from old world and old ideas. It's clearly not happening with the big "D" society. Movements that are pushing for new ideas and new changes are AG Bell, EHDI, Hands & Voices, and numerous others. It's okay if you don't want new ideas and new changes but it'll also mean a demise of your society. I don't have to remind you of what the history will teach you.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,

    I smiled in this just moment, I also was thinking about blogging this situation. I am glad that you brought it up. I dont have anything to disagree because it is no way to compare this human being with this medical term. It is totally separate with each other.

    It is all about their fighting for people's choice. That is where it has gone too far. It has none comparability with the rights that black, gay, women has been achieved since years.

    It is very comical to see them compare that way.

    Let's say, lets rid of eye glasses because it cause the laziness in the people if they wear them because they rely on glasses to have better life. (I am laughing hard at my end).

    Of course not....

    Good blog Brother,

    Willy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cavvy. This was brought up in our conversation under somebody's facebook page. I thought it'd make a very interesting blog so I went ahead and did it. Deafies need to understand the world's first definition for 'deaf'. The first definition has more to do with medical condition than anything else. So, in that sense, deafness is a disability. So, the notion for rights to remain disabled will never fly in this world. Can't deafies people simply understand that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog! Good comparisons or lack thereof.

    ~Renée J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry,

    Exactly! If I were Ruthie (AFA leader) knowing how many demonstrators have participated with ultra concentrated numbers (below 20), I would call it off.
    Ruthie obviously made an attempt to be like the Black Panthers in that she has radical viewpoints without realistic considerations. She will continue without success until she realizes it's not working. She embarrasses the deaf community.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Barry.

    Yeah. I have a profound deafness, and grew up in the deaf community. I always view myself as disabled guy until I enrolled Gallaudet University and this was a mistake for me. Those movements have partly infected Gallaudet University. They are actually trying to upgrade "deaf" into something else when it was created for medical term. It doesn't work that way with the real world, economically. This is what they don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to share with you about my point of views... I think AFA/NAD/other deaf organizations and AGBELL/EDHI/other CI or hearing aids programs, both are in the same agenda where will take money laundering. It's endlessly battling and it is pointless for them to create a new idea of new world. I know people out there who can heal deafness by nature way. Someone who can help me to research on deafness cures. One day, I will get there.

    I don't support deaf agenda or CI agenda because deafness is a lack of communication with real world or defenseless against the sound of threat(example: deaf people live in wilderness and don't hear wild animals who behind them or strangers who behind them in night time) and CI will destroy the spiritual values(if you are not sure about this one, Barry and I would love to explain you in videophone or inbox in deafvideo.tv)

    By the way, this is an interesting article, Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oddly enough,I found your blog while looking for other people interested in ranching...I happen to be 80% deaf and a good majority of my family are completely or to some degree deaf.I was surprised to find someone deaf and into ranching that I'm not related to.lol.Anyway your article is enlightening,I had no idea there were such issues with deaf people.Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 'theonlyonetheymake'. Neat to know about your interest in ranching. I've loved this ranching life for more than two decades. It's a wonderful way of life. Wondered which State you're ranching in. As for me it's the northern Nevada territory. Take care and best wishes.

      Delete