Thursday, March 1, 2012

Who Is Being Delusional? Eh?


Greetings. I stumbled into Mishka's recent blog seen here. I had to chuckle at some of the hilarious and misleading statements and comments that were made under her blog. I meant no offense to anybody but kindly understand the irony here. Mishka along with some people accused Hear Indiana and AGBADHH for being delusional. However if you read carefully it's not difficult to see who is actually being delusional.

In Mishka's blog she quoted Noami Horton saying ‘When the kids don’t consider themselves deaf, the magic begins’. I don't know Noami Horton but according to Mishka she is a director of Hear Indiana.

And then Mishka bolted a damning question asking what Noami and others might be teaching the oral deaf children. I thought it was rather a hilarious question because it's not about teaching. It's about building a child’s confidence level and self esteem. It's all about making them confident about their own abilities regardless of their hearing losses.

When Noami Horton said “When the kids don’t consider themselves deaf, the magic begins” it does not necessarily mean the kids would actually believe that they were not medically deaf. Any parent in their right mind would never believe that either. Hearing parents do understand the difference between 'medically deaf' and 'considered deaf'. The real question here is why can't the big 'D' society seem to understand the difference? Noami did not say that the children would believe that they were no longer medically deaf. She only said 'when the kids no longer consider themselves deaf...'. The term 'CONSIDER' is the big word here.

To consider something is a personal right. It's a personal choice we all make for ourselves. What one might wish to consider himself or herself to be is none of people's business. One could consider anything regardless of their actual medical status. Take my 'I'm Deafless' v/blog as an example. I have never denied my deafness (a medical term) but yet because my deafness DID NOT rank as significant to me I just do not introduce myself as a deaf person. That was exactly what I meant by my deafless v/blog. Now if you think about it, Noami was trying to say the same thing.

And to be candor about it... to gain such confidence and self-esteem is not a form of pretending as Mishka tried to put it.

As for Indiana's recent legislative bill known as HB 1367 I made a decision to stay out of it by not v/blogging about it. I did so for two reasons. 1) To see who actually understood the bill and who didn't. In the past people would just flock over to my side and say they agreed with me. I'd wonder if they've actually read the bill and understood them or if they were just running to my side because they trusted my views. 2) To see if I'd still be blamed for the passage of a bill if it passes. And I was! Someone made a vlog and accused me for the success of the bill because I did not state my opposition of this bill and because I did not voice my support for those who opposed the bill. It goes to show how ridiculous big "D" deaf people are.

In closing, I’m glad the Indiana bill passed. I supported this bill but I've refrained from saying it until after the bill passed. Unfortunately, as it has been with numerous previous legislative bills that I've v/blogged about, numerous big "D" deaf people continued to misread and misunderstand the purposes and values of these legislative bills. From the look of it they were still trying to figure how to broaden their horizons. The bill in Indiana amounted to nothing more than 'check and balance' policy, an essential 'separation of powers' policy, which we have always enjoyed in this nation. Go figure.

4 comments:

  1. As of the moment (approximately 12 hours later) Mishka still has not published my comment under her blog. I had a feeling it might happen, which is why I decided to blog about it, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an real problem there are a number of profile 'Deaf' blogs that are deliberately operating the 'closed shop' and highly selective on what they allow through if it is contrary view to theirs. I think this just fuels extremism and bad blood between us all. Blogs designed to promote division when we all want the opposite. When they say deaf we know they mean culture and anti-oralism from then on in the whole thing just becomes depressingly predictable. the damage THEY have done to culture is immeasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah MM. Mishka finally published my comment but did not do so until approximately 24 hours late. Since then her blogsite has been silenced. I just hope that everybody realized that Naomi's statement was twisted, shamefully, by anti-oralism. But yeah, I agree with your statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to copy and paste the comment I posted on ehwhathuh.com's post on the same topic here:

    When reading the press release, Naomi's quote makes sense. I'm seeing folks jumping to negative aspects of wordings and quotes too quick.

    There is no way we completely forget that we are deaf.

    Are there moments in the day, however long, that we don't consider ourselves deaf? For me, sure.

    The magic begins for me when I'm able to communicate with the world at large using my hearing and my speech fluidly. I understand not every deaf/hh person can do that.

    One part of the press release I thought was cool:

    "Hear Indiana’s executive director, Naomi Horton, queried the children about what makes
    this camp special. A sample of the answers were: “swimming in the lake,” “horseback riding,” and “the friends we make.” None of campers surveyed even mentioned being deaf."

    They did not mention being deaf or being around deaf kids like them. Think about that.

    The press release mentioned is here:

    http://www.hearindiana.org/Resources/Documents/Hear%20Indiana%20Press%20Release%20June%2027_2011.pdf

    ReplyDelete